Sustainable architecture is a subset of sustainable development..
Architecture is a social and economical exercise which leads to environmental impact and in turns is affected by it. It has to respond all these in balance manner.
More and more, sustainable architecture strategies are being implemented in public building designs. Although cost is always a top consideration for Civic Building Planners, keep in mind that spending more on sustainable strategies can not only lead to large savings over time, but it also positively impacts air quality, well-being, and regenerative. Breeds the future. .
Sustainable architecture is the use of design strategies that minimize the negative environmental impact from a built environment. Architects take site landscape, energy management and stormwater management into account when planning, and then use environmentally friendly systems and construction materials during construction.
It is the first principal to understand it as a system.
Elements of sustainable architecture.
There are 2 basic elements ofsustainable architecture one is building and another is surrounding or site..elements like choice of materials, location of building,smart building (building as generator of energy), efficient appliances and fixtures etc. Are fix for a piece of land..but as we talk about optimal allocation of land and transport system and infrastructure it will be at large scale..or for the complete location and will very with the location.
now this is the past which we will. Largely dealing with but this part is directly affected by and by affect it is surrounded. For example,the land on which it is being constructed,the environment,management of waste and water vice versa and energy renewable sources and energy efficiency with in the building.
Characteristics of sustainable architecture:-
- Resource equity- green national product of material and resources.
- Global community- think global but act local
- Economics-larger socio- economic awareness
- Renewability-new way of looking at materials
- Traditional wisdom- changed view towards traditional architecture
- Institutional change-beyond design of building
- Technology- appropriate n most suitable technology
- Embodied energy- energy production n emmesion by the building.
any building or architecture which has to qualify a sustainable architecture has to be use the resources in such a manner that it has equally available for everyone.
Three constant theme for sustainable architecture.
1)Traditional:-traditional essientaly represent accumulate knowledge of past generations in dealing with environment and place. Specific technique that have been used by people to alter micro- climate.
2. Technology:– Evolutionary distinction between our species and those that did not use tool as effectively technology is then interwined with tradition.
3. Urbanism:– No serious assessment of sustainable development can be made by ignoring urban arena and most topic related to civil issue.
Social aspects of sustainable architecture:-
- Improve quality of human life.
- Make provision for cultural diversity in development.
- Ensure healthy and safe environment.
- Implement skill training and capacity enhancement of disadvantage people.
- Seek fair and equitable distribution of social cost of construction.
- Seek intergeneration equity.
- Humanize large building.
- Extract resources slower than their rate of extraction.
- Maximize reuse and recycle.
- Mimimize pollution.
- Creat healthy and non- toxic environment.
- Maintain ecological diversity.
- Minimize scenic,cultural,historical and architectural demage.
- Construct durable,reliable and functional structure.
- Pussue quality.
- Revitalize existing structure.
1.Green building:-The practice of creating structure and using process that are environmentally responsible and resources efficient through a building’s life cycle from sitting to design, construction operation,maintainance, renovation and deconstruction. green building mainly focus on environmental dimension of sustainablity.
2. Climate Responsive Building:- Respond to climatic constraints through their design and construction.however,the aim is to only respond climatically.there is no concern for efficient of resources consumption or socio economic factors.
3.Ecological building:- A structure that is designed to create and sustain mutually beneficial relationship with all of the element of its local ecology. a building’s local ecology or environment is made up of particular physical and biological element and their interactions.