The practice of creating structures and using the process that are environmentally responsible and resources efficient through a building’s life cycle from sitting to design,construction operation,maintenance,renovation and deconstruction. Green building mainly focus on environmental dimension of sustainability.
Concept of Green building:-
- Uses less water.
- optimizes energy efficiency
- Conserve natural resources
- Generate less waste and provides healthier space for occupants as compare to other buildings.
Characteristics of Green buildings:-
- Efficient management of energy and waste resources.
- Management of material resources and waste
- Restoration and protection of environmental quality.
- Reinforcement of natural system.
- Analysis of the life cycle cost and benefits of materials and method.
Why green buildings:-
- Enhance and protect biodiversity and ecosystem
- Improve air and water quality
- Reduce waste streams
- Conserve and restore natural resources.
- Reduce operating cost.
- Improve occupants productivity.
- Create,expand and shape market for green product and service.
- Optimize life cycle economic performance.
- Enhance occupants comfort and healthy.
- Heighten aesthetic qualities
- Minimize strain on local infrastructure.
- Improve overall quality of life.
Benefits of Green building:-
- Green building can reduce Energy use-24-50%
- Co2 emission 33-39%
- Water uses -40%
- Solid waste-70%.
Process of designing green building:-
Objective of design:-
- climatic study:- understanding the place and climatic conditions. physiological objectives.
- to start with designing a sustainable building the first and foremost step is to study about the climate of the current location.both climatically condition and physiological objectives matters for comfort which we desire.we have to understand all the environmental parameters.so how much sun is available,what is the seasonal variation,what is the altitude,what is the range,what is the surrounding water bodies,the microclimate,the air, the direction of wind which is coming and all these components aspects which form the climate of that place have to understood deeply,based on physiological objectives.
Study of site and surrounding:-
- site surrounding-context.
- local culture and tradition
- material and resources locally available
- traditional architectural language and style.
- existing site and features
- preserving protective area.
- we are talking about the place where we are going to design the building.now this is specific to site and its surrounding. so we have to look all the context here we are also looking for local culture and tradition what is the type of architecture which is already in trend or use, architectural vocabulary which is available, materials and resources locally available.
Role and responsibilities:-
- divide the responsibility clearly on the basis of section
- stage and sustainability aspects.
site layout (inter shading):-
- site planning as per climatic and site analysis
- Exploring optimized siting of building and layout.
Building form and orientation:-
- optimized form and orientation.
- study of climatic data and sun path.
- to lesser the insulation.
- for better performing buildings
- fitting in the site context
- we have to optimize the form and orientation based upon the climatic data and in order to achieve the physiological objectives which have been identified as the very first step of the design process.
- earth berming
- earth air tunnel cooling
- geo thermal cooling
- wind catcher
- water bodies and evaporative cooling
- pre cooling of ventilation air.
- once we have broadly decided on building orientation and form. we should go through the relevant passive strategies, now these passive strategies are responding to the physiological objectives which we have identified.
Building envelope design:-
- thermal insulation (walls)
- thermal mass(increasing wall thickness)
- air cavities
- surface finishing (provide light color ed paint)
- over Deck and under deck insulation (roof)
- cool roof and green roof system.
- so there are different points and different methods of designing the building envelope on the basis of their thermal insulation.one is physiological objectives whether We need insulation.